Thursday, April 19, 2012

Couple of Questions

Hello people, I have a few questions from a potential player. Ok, so first things first, I currently am using a 'wireless dongle' for my internet so playing WoW just yet is out of the question until I get 'proper' internet.

Secondly, will my laptop run it? It is brand new, 4GB of RAM, 250GB HD, Integrated Intel Mobile 4 Series Graphics Card, Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Celeron T3100 Processor. I really don't know much about what procesors or graphics cards are good so hoping you can help. How well will my computer run WoW, even in instances and high lag situaions (disregarding my internet connection for a moment).

Thirdly, how is the lifespan of this game looking at the moment? Cheers for any help.|||wireless should be okay to run it, its a fairly large download though so you need to be careful with that.

intergrated graphics and a celeron, not the best way to play it, but i think it would run at least okay, raids when you get to the endgame would probably be out of the question though.

bout to go into our 3rd expansion, the game will be around for years and years and years and years to come|||Alright cheers. Cos it's a laptop, is getting the processor and graphics card replaced out of the question?

& by wireless dongle I meant the little sticks that run off mobile internet and you have an allowance which you have to top up.|||The laptop will likely struggle to run Warcraft and yes, getting the processor and graphics replaced is a near impossible task - it would be easier to buy a new lappy.

With the wireless internet side of things, the download of the client will destroy your monthly usage limit. You'll need to find someone who has the client already and copy it from their computer onto the laptop. Any big patches (which we will be getting within the next couple of months) will also put you over your download limit. I'd also be concerned about the lag over a mobile internet connection - if you have a round trip of over 1 second it'll make the game unplayable.|||yeah depends on how fast the wireless net is in the UK, i know here in australia we can usuallly get about 5-6 mbit, so yeah, you should be playable, its just the client download thats the killer|||Quote:








yeah depends on how fast the wireless net is in the UK, i know here in australia we can usuallly get about 5-6 mbit, so yeah, you should be playable, its just the client download thats the killer




The download speed of the network has very little to do with being able to play Warcraft, it's determined by the round trip (ping) speed of the data packets. When Warcraft is actually running, very little data is sent to and from the servers.

I had a major technical issue with my broadband a few years ago and my download speed was throttled to less than 0.1 Mbps, but Warcraft still ran fine. I checked the amount of data being sent/ recieved and was surprised to see it averages about 15kbps (a tiny amount). Although my download speed was set so low, the actually ping speed was still only around 50ms (0.05 of a second).

The opposite can be seen with satellite internet. You can have quite high download speeds, but because the data is being fired up to a satellite and back again, you have really poor ping speeds - often over 2 seconds. You try and play Warcraft with a 2 second lag time and it becomes impossible.

I'm not sure what the ping speed is on a wireless dongle network. Is it low enough to play without lag? I'll do some investigating and post after I've had some food and watched the football ;)

Edit: I've done a little research and due to the nature of mobile internet (it's obviously radio based) the ping can be anywhere from 200ms at it's best to an incredible 2 MINUTES at it's worst. Anything more than 500ms and you're not going to be able to play Warcraft.|||i've got integrated graphics and shared memory.

Capital cities and any area with a large congregation can cause me problems.

Also I have a limit on playtime of 2-3 hours, depending on how much i travel, and if I go to busy areas.

Being in dungeons actually helps me because that dungeon is your whole world while you're there. I was in a dungeon for 4 hours once and didn't crash till we finished and I tried to go back to town.
|||Quote:








i've got integrated graphics and shared memory.

Capital cities and any area with a large congregation can cause me problems.

Also I have a limit on playtime of 2-3 hours, depending on how much i travel, and if I go to busy areas.

Being in dungeons actually helps me because that dungeon is your whole world while you're there. I was in a dungeon for 4 hours once and didn't crash till we finished and I tried to go back to town.






I admire your patience. If this happened to me when I went to a capital city I would quite honestly uninstall Warcraft.|||hah. I was already hooked when it first happened. I started as an elf, and I don't have problems in Darnassus.|||Actually, when we go on a holiday in the country (it's a small country) I play just fine over a plain ole' EDGE by tethering my Android phone to my laptop.

5 mans and anywhere in the world are great. 10 mans are doable, but my performance isn't great. Though that has more to do with my laptops' cruddy specs.

No comments:

Post a Comment