Thursday, April 19, 2012

Choosing an RP realm on the US servers

Hello All,

Wasn't sure where to put this, so plumped for the newcomers thread.

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I've been playing WoW for the last four years, on the Moonglade EU server. I'm now moving from the UK to Chicago, and as a result am having to leave the EU realms behind and start again from the beginning in the USA.

I like to raid when I can, but generally I'm a casual player that likes RP realms for the ambience and occasional RP fun.

Basically, I'm interested in whether anyone has any recommendations for which realm to choose once I get a US account. I'm the sort who would definitely prioritise a fun, social atmosphere and community over cutting edge raiding.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Templeton|||I'd go with the Moon Guard server... It has the most active (and most noticeable) RP community. The other ones tend to have hidden communities and most people play on the RP servers just for a more laid back atmosphere.|||I've heard the same thing about Moon Guard. Although I've also heard they have a sizeable "vampire" community, which personally would drive me crazy.

I used to play on both Scarlet Crusade and The Venture Company (RP-PVP). On both servers, unless you belonged to a strict RP guild, you would see very, very little "outside" RP, unless you count the near-constant cybering in the top of the inn in Goldshire. Mostly it was just nice because people talked in complete sentences and didn't speak in IM or leetbonics.

...Ren|||moongaurd is a full server but btw how do u role play on a video game plz explain|||Moon Guard is full but it is also the most dedicated to RP server that I have seen. I have very little experience on the server however, having rolled a single toon there once to check it out. I later deleted this toon as I didn't want to be on yet another full server.

Sisters of Elune did have some role playing going on there when I first rolled on it, and I completely enjoyed playing out a tragic love story for nearly fifty levels, along with a goodly number of others who took part in the over all story. Now that server simply seems to be another normal PvE server that happens to be labeled RP in the server selection screen.

Blackwater Raiders is much more an Erotic Role Playing server, whose Goldshire Inn seems frequently to be a rowdy boisterous night club of the stripper variety, but even so, a bit of Role Playing does go on there but not much that I have seen. The few times I have found another RPer interested in more than cyber, we generally would leave Goldshire to go elsewhere to carry on the RP conversation. In the meantime, if you enjoy watching a lot of dancing, then BwR's Goldshire is for sure the place to go. In general I hearth my characters there, return when I level to train, and leave, but every now and again, I do run into more than just cyber-whispers when I return.

To Role Play on WoW, create a background of where your character comes from, who she or he is and how they came to follow their chosen class. Then play your character as if they were really the person (much like an actor in an improvisation works off the actions and words of other actors in it). It really helps to know at least a little of the Azeroth history so your character background is firmly attached to the milieu.

I have seen characters that will never ever talk out of character (or at least not without distinguishing it as such with a double parenthetical enclosure to indicate such). I have to admit that while I try to stay in character, a lot of time it turns out to be difficult to do when others are not interested in RP.

There are some mods to aid in maintaining a persona that provide written in-game material, but I would suggest duplicating any notes made there on an out of game notepad entry.|||is there a forum on rules and how to for the RP servers ?|||The official page from Blizzard on role playing policy:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...rticleId=20458

Also I have seen in the past a number postings on the official Blizzard forums on Role Playing including this stickied posting from the Sister of Elune forum:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...66148307&sid=1

I would suggest reading through some of the RP server forums there to see if you can find additional information, as well as to help determine what server seems best for any individual's taste.|||On the subject of the Moon Guard server, they have their own wiki which might give you a better idea.

As for the "vampire" community, if you can pull yourself to get past Silvermoon City (Horde) or Stormwind (Alliance) there's actually some good, quality RP running around, and not just a bunch of Human (Alliance) Blood Elf (Horde) level 58-61 female Death Knights running around acting emo/vampire. I'm not saying that's the only thing that happens in those areas, but it's common to the point that unless you're like level 75+, Death Knights are generally shunned and seen as lazy.|||Hubby and I rolled a pair of toons on Wyrmrest Accord. Obeyed all the rules, nicely named toons, decent backstory, and launched this lovely pair on the world. And was vastly underwhelmed by the fact that there appears to be utterly no difference between Wyrmrest Accord (US pve RP server) and our home Runetotem (US pve server). Sad, and those two toons died on the vine.

Oh, hi, and welcome to the neighborhood. There are a few of us here that either live in Chicago...or close by.|||I've made my move to the US, and I've started WoW again. Only playing occasionally (lots of new things to see/make/do), but I've rolled on the Moon Guard Server and so far its been friendly and fun. Now I just need to find a guild.

Thanks all for the advice - it was very gratefully received!

No comments:

Post a Comment