Saturday, April 21, 2012

Which Melee Hybrid to pick?

After I outgrew my Priest, so I decided I want to make a melee hybrid class. I've narrowed it down to:

Shaman (Enhancement, Resto for PvE)

Druid (Feral, Resto for PvE)

maybe

Death Knight :)

I'm looking for:

1. Able to perform well in PvP

2. Able to level at a good speed

3. Plain fun :)

I'm open to any suggestions, and any help would be useful|||They'll all level at good speeds.

I'm going to warn you right now, that currently, Enhancement Shaman are terrible in PvP. They lack the slows, stuns and general "close the distance" (stealth, charge) abilities of other melee classes. Without those, the ranged classes will simply kite you to death, whereas other melee classes will have a better chance at getting the jump on you.

The days of one-shotting a prot specced warrior in full Grand Marshal gear with windfury/flury crit procs are long gone.

Feral Kitty druids fare quite a bit better as they have stealth and Death Knights have death grip, chains of ice and Unholy spec has permanent ghoul which has a stun.

However, whichever you choose is, like all other class decisions, is yours and whatever you really want.|||Quote:








After I outgrew my Priest, so I decided I want to make a melee hybrid class. I've narrowed it down to:

Shaman (Enhancement, Resto for PvE)

Druid (Feral, Resto for PvE)

maybe

Death Knight :)

I'm looking for:

1. Able to perform well in PvP

2. Able to level at a good speed

3. Plain fun :)

I'm open to any suggestions, and any help would be useful




Pvp? With the three mentioned...my first choice would be Death Knight. As noted, enh shaman are not the shaman pvp spec most commonly suggested (ele is) but then, I pvp'ed as resto, in my pve raiding gear. (How'd that go for me? Better than you might guess.)

Druids do well, and are pretty versatile.

Death Knights, for all of their pve issues (and those are usually other players' issues with them...as in, there are too many. Too many new players speed leveled them after choosing the easiest path to get one, etc...etc...etc) are a blast to play and are very strong in pvp. I'm not entirely certain I would personally classify them as "hybrid" but they eat faces.|||Enh shamans do have a place in Arenas. Together with a BM Hunter they form a decent 2v2 team, and with an added Holy Paladins good 3v3 (this is called 'Beast Cleave').

Their mobility comes from Ghost Wolf form combined with Earthbind totem. They fall short in terms of damage, at least until lvl 60 when they get Feral Spirit (2 temporary wolf pets). They are somewhat hard to play because for maximum damage you need to keep several cooldowns running at the same time (Stormstrike, Feral Spirit, Earth Shock, Lightning Shield).

I agree that Feral Druids are stronger in Battlegrounds, mainly because of stealth. They are less common in Arenas though, and my personal experience (leveling until 30 doing lots of BGs) is that a cat druid is quite simple to play, though I was missing the utility skills of my Rogue.

Both the druid and the shaman are excellent healers in PvE, and both are fun to level.

I have no idea about DKs in PvP. If I meet one in a BG (with my Hunter, Rogue or Shaman) I expect a tough fight; they're hard to beat 1v1.

No comments:

Post a Comment