Thursday, April 19, 2012

Did I choose the right class? Horde/Alliance?What class? Patch 4.0.1?

Now before I start this thread, I want to state a few things:

1.I did read this thread, but its no longer up to date since the release of of 4.0.1 and even then i'd still have more problems figuring out what class to be and ALSO what faction to be.

2.I understand all classes have abilities/disabilities for a reason (Fairness/Balance)



So heres my problem:

With the release of 4.0.1 I have been questioning myself wondering if I actually like the changes to the Paladin. (My highest level is a Lv 43 Paladin) While Paladins received Holy Power and their melee combat has gotten much stronger and they can heal more much in less time, there Mana based spells have gotten much weaker and require more than twice as much Mana as they did. Due to this, I do quite a lot more damage when facing one enemy now, but lack when facing multiple enemies. (Not to mention some spells CD times have doubled) Now im wondering if I should go for making a different class account and migrate to it making it my "Main" account until I reach level 80/85. With the changes of 4.0.1 almost every single class has had a major overhaul spell/attack wise and talent wise. (I'm also considering making my main realm the one my cousin plays on)



The List of Considerations:

Draenei/Ork Shaman-First of all, I would have to buy The Burning Crusade if I went Dray, which isn't a big deal because I need to grab it eventually. I am considering a Shaman because of what i've seen in PvP videos, which isn't something I should really judge off of because I will mainly be PvE (Although I do enjoy PvP) I like how Shamans can heal themselves because then you don't have to go and buy bandages, but i'm afraid I won't be able to adapt to a class that is spell dependant because when you right click, you don't cast a spell, but you hit your enemy with your Melee weapon.

Undead/Gnome Warrior:I am considering a Warrior because I like how they are considered a moving fortress. From what i've read/seen Warriors can be extremely good as tanks or extremely good at damage. The problem with Warriors is that they don't use any sort of magic, but rather use rage. I am afraid this will cause me to get bored fast. I also don't like how you have to carry around food/bandages if your soloing.

Dwarf/Orc Hunter:I'm considering a hunter because I have read that Hunters are really good at Soloing. One big problem of mine is getting to Level 15 because it just feels super boring to me (I start Dungeon Instances at Level 15because I really enjoy working with a team) I'm not sure what to think about the whole focus thing because it just replaced Mana and I have no idea what changed. One thing I am scared of is being Dependant on the pet. I don't like the idea of needing a pet to win a fight. I also don't like the idea of having to carry around food/bandages to heal. (By the way, are Hunters good DPS in Melee or only ranged based attacks?)

I am also considering Warlock/Mage but I am concerned with the whole right click situation (Needing to select the target then cast) This also means standing still while I cast.



Realm:

I need to figure out what Realm to use if I am horde. I would like a 50/50 or 60/40 (In favor of horde) if I decide to switch over to the Horde.|||The game is still reeling from 4.0.1. Numbers are still skewed, and every class will probably get hit one way or another come 4.0.3 in a month, month and a half or so.

As for your classes:

Just because we've gotten a big patch doesn't change much. We can't tell you what class is best for you. If you want to try out those classes, then by all means, try them out. If you don't like the feel of casters standing still while slinging spells, you probably shouldn't play them.

But as an FYI, Enhancement specced Shamans hit stuff far more than they nuke stuff. Also, just because I can heal my own dumb blue ass, doesn't mean I don't keep a stack of Heavy Forstweave Bandages or Salted Venison in my inventory. I do. Sometimes it's just easier to stop and whip out a bandage than it is to burn my mana and heal myself, or if I've just had a rough ride, it's easier to just sit down and eat some food.

For warriors, rage is an entirely different mechanic to master. Unlike mana, rage starts out as zero. You get more rage as you deal and take damage, and some abilities generate it for you. Managing your rage is key to learning how to play the warrior well.

For hunters, they are 99.9% ranged. They do VERY, VERY little meleeing (if played properly), and their melee abilities aren't very good when compared to their ranged abilities. As for mana being replaced by "focus", it's nothing really. As far as I can tell, focus is like rogue's energy. Use an ability, a part of it is depleted, but it regenerates pretty quickly. Not much has really changed, although you'll probably have to be a little more conservative with your special shots.

I'm not sure what you mean by the right click and targeting as your concerns with casters. You have to select a target regardless of what class you are in order to use abilities. You can select a target (with left click), and start clicking the button to cast a spell (regardless of what it is), and you'll be throwing it at your target. True, you have to stand still, but if you know what you're doing, it won't be a problem. There are plenty of things at casters' disposals to keep enemies at arm's length as you move up through the levels.

As for realm, you said you were considering moving where your cousin is. Do that. Don't worry about anything else. Going to a realm where you know someone is far better than doing in depth research about realm populations and such. Chances are, your cousin has some friends there and perhaps (s)he is already in a good guild which is another bonus. The exception to this being your contact is on a realm type that you don't like. Example: your cousin is on a PvP realm, but you prefer PvE. In that case, it might not be a good idea to move as realm type can make a difference on your enjoyment. I know that despite the fact that I have some friends on a PvP realm, I have NO intention of switching to a PvP realm.|||See, I'm actually leaning towards playing my pally more often now - while the first half hour to an hour of relearning the class with the new changes hurt (I died to a few packs of mobs), once I got into the swing of it, I was quite happy with the new changes - holy power, in a nutshell, rocks imho... almost to the point that the mana seems secondary.

Now, that may be skewed bc my paladin is level 53 now (she was 50 at the start of 4.0.1). I kinda hate that they put out this patch right now before Cataclysm. While it's good to get used to the new class mechanics, it sucks because I want to really go back and start some characters from level 1; but since there's still the 10 character limit on a realm (and I don't want to start fresh in a new realm), my open slots are pretty much dedicated to Cataclysm race/class combos, plus at least 1 Worgen and Goblin on my Ally and Horde-specific realms... so I'm frustrated in that I don't know now how those classes will feel for leveling in the early parts...

But most of your questions ultimately will be answered by playing the characters. I've never gotten a rogue, for instance, past level 10 - the basic class mechanics don't work for me. Priests and Druids have been an issue for me that way as well. But with the new changes, I am actually going to try out all of them to see what I think. I know that I don't really want to do the healing gig, so I know that the specs I will choose will be dedicated to damage at the moment; I am nervous about tanking, but it seems less nerve-wracking than healing (I firmly believe that a good healer can save things better than a tank...)

It's ultimately what fits you best - different class mechanics will make sense to different people. I can't figure out druids and shapeshifting, for instance, in a way that makes it work for me. It's too much of a switch between caster to melee, but with having to keep track of different sets of spells. Death knights, on the other hand, have fit very well with my mindset of how to organize what I am doing. You have to find your own niche.|||Well I think I found a Realm I want to stick with. Its about 52% Horde (15k+) and around 48% Alliance (14K+) I think its a good balance. I've been working on a Orc Warrior and I am actually enjoying it so far.|||Quote:








See, I'm actually leaning towards playing my pally more often now - while the first half hour to an hour of relearning the class with the new changes hurt (I died to a few packs of mobs), once I got into the swing of it, I was quite happy with the new changes - holy power, in a nutshell, rocks imho... almost to the point that the mana seems secondary.

Now, that may be skewed bc my paladin is level 53 now (she was 50 at the start of 4.0.1). I kinda hate that they put out this patch right now before Cataclysm. While it's good to get used to the new class mechanics, it sucks because I want to really go back and start some characters from level 1; but since there's still the 10 character limit on a realm (and I don't want to start fresh in a new realm), my open slots are pretty much dedicated to Cataclysm race/class combos, plus at least 1 Worgen and Goblin on my Ally and Horde-specific realms... so I'm frustrated in that I don't know now how those classes will feel for leveling in the early parts...

But most of your questions ultimately will be answered by playing the characters. I've never gotten a rogue, for instance, past level 10 - the basic class mechanics don't work for me. Priests and Druids have been an issue for me that way as well. But with the new changes, I am actually going to try out all of them to see what I think. I know that I don't really want to do the healing gig, so I know that the specs I will choose will be dedicated to damage at the moment; I am nervous about tanking, but it seems less nerve-wracking than healing (I firmly believe that a good healer can save things better than a tank...)

It's ultimately what fits you best - different class mechanics will make sense to different people. I can't figure out druids and shapeshifting, for instance, in a way that makes it work for me. It's too much of a switch between caster to melee, but with having to keep track of different sets of spells. Death knights, on the other hand, have fit very well with my mindset of how to organize what I am doing. You have to find your own niche.




I saw a Level 8 Druid in a Panther form (Cat form?) at Level 8, so i'm thinking something changed with Druids. I have a Level 10 Druid I could check it out on. As for rogues, I feel like they would be the most boring class ever. They can ONLY do damage and that mostly consists of sneaking around, backstabbing and stunning you enemy then swiftly killing them with no challenge what so ever.|||Rogues are a fun thing...they don't some into their own at the very early levels though....

I don't have to sneak around, backstab, or srun to hurt the hell out of something.|||which is the overall most balanced class?

No comments:

Post a Comment