Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Ranged Dps Main...

Well like most people I know what kind of playstyle I like and well that is ranged dps. But my really big problem is just what class that is a ranged dps that I like.

Now I have a 80 Hunter, and a 80 Mage. But they just don't seem right to how I'd like my main to play as. I'll be honest I've only played a shaman to 32 a druid to 24, a lock to 22, and a priest to 6. I know I never played them long enough to give them their chance to really shine, and it could be the race I made them, which was druid = tauren, lock = belf/undead, priest = belf, and sham = orc.

So what I'd like is a bit of talk on just any thoughts on this. I'm wanting a class pretty much that i'd be a main ranged dps, but also do pvp, and plus I do like things that are random fun to just mess around with.

Could I get a bit of talk from people who have 80's of those classes that I haven't given their chance to shine? As this is a great time to get him ready and up there for Cata.|||Quote:








Well like most people I know what kind of playstyle I like and well that is ranged dps. But my really big problem is just what class that is a ranged dps that I like.

Now I have a 80 Hunter, and a 80 Mage. But they just don't seem right to how I'd like my main to play as. I'll be honest I've only played a shaman to 32 a druid to 24, a lock to 22, and a priest to 6. I know I never played them long enough to give them their chance to really shine, and it could be the race I made them, which was druid = tauren, lock = belf/undead, priest = belf, and sham = orc.

So what I'd like is a bit of talk on just any thoughts on this. I'm wanting a class pretty much that i'd be a main ranged dps, but also do pvp, and plus I do like things that are random fun to just mess around with.

Could I get a bit of talk from people who have 80's of those classes that I haven't given their chance to shine? As this is a great time to get him ready and up there for Cata.




I have a shadow priest, (draenei....level 69) and quite bluntly the real problem I had trying to play her as a dps class was that everyone and their dog expected her to heal. It's bloody hard to play a shadow priest simply because you're a priest. Ergo, you are a healer. Discussion goes like this:

"Heal? No. I'm a shadow priest. Off heal? But, seriously, guys, I'm a shadow priest. Dps. Truly. That is what this character is. What do you mean we're not looking for a healer? Of course I'm a priest.... but I'm shadow!" If this doesn't bother you, then a shadow priest is a fine, challenging class. If it does...well....|||That isn't so much of a problem since they brought in the dungeon finder system that lets you select what role you want to play, and puts teams together accordingly. If you only want to dps, only select dps. You may have to wait a little longer to get a group, but you can be sure that the group you are in will have a healer in it, allowing you to dps to your heart's content.

Having played both priest and druid to level 80, I'd have to say that I prefered dps'ing on my druid (balance spec). Unlike the priest (which always used the same rotation), the boomkin made me think in order to get the most out of my toon, depending on what procced. This made dps'ing more challenging and exciting for me. On my priest, once I had come up with the optimum rotation for my gear, all I had to do was repeat it over and over again.

On a related point, you will find PvP'ing a lot easier on the druid than the priest. Whenever I tried to PvP in shadow on my priest, I would put on my DoTs and die soon after. At which point my killer would dispel/heal through my dots making my attacks worthless. shadow priests also cause shadow damage that most people will have a buff to resist, reducing the damage I give. A balance druid doesn't have this problem as they can cause nature and arcane damage.|||My only L80 so far (the DK is L75 and well... getting there, hopefully before Cata drops) is a (Night Elf) Boomkin.

I like its survivability (once tanked King Ymiron in heroic mode when the tank went splat halfway), its damage (I was also the only remaining dps in said tanking experience), its roots (if it's rootable and doesn't cast for wtf damage I can solo it), Typhoon blowing annoying mobs away/sending PvP off great heights. And I'm not a shabby healer (by far) when push comes to shove and I drop out to caster form. With spellpower giving +heal as well as +damage..

The fact that a druid allows you to "second spec" into a tree that's vastly different from my main tree (tanking as a bear, melee dps as a cat, healing as a tree) makes me not need a lot of alts (I could use more talent specification slots though ).

Forget talents, stealthing around mobs is just a shapeshift away.

On top of that, being a Night Elf, Shadowmeld gives me a panic button that 9 out of 10 saves my behind and allows some fancy "surprise!" moments in PvP (combined with above Typhoon).

That said, tanking as a bear isn't working out for me (been trying to get it right since TBC), so I'm getting a DK to L80 and see how it goes.|||I have a shaman and a dk at 80, plus the above mentioned shadow priest. I've dabbled in a couple of others, and live in a household of gamers who give me some broader knowledge through their game play experiences as well (The list of what we haven't played to 80 is pretty short) If I was going to actually, and with a good level of committment, roll a ranged dps, I would pay more attention to my belf lock. He was a hard hitting, versatile class with decent survivability and an obvious path. The shadow priest was fun, but for me, I had factional issues and it wasn't far enough away from what I was trying to get a breath of fresh air from. DK is immensely fun, but doesn't really qualify as "ranged" dps, although they have quite a few long reaching spells.|||Quote:








... although they have quite a few long reaching spells.




Aaah, Glyphed Death Grip . It's like all your attacks become ranged .|||Quote:








Aaah, Glyphed Death Grip . It's like all your attacks become ranged .




Aaah, Glyphed Death Grip . It's like all your attacks become melee.

(I love that spell. Truly, I do.)|||As a non-DK I hate that spell. In PvP it's hard to deal with as a hunter (my main pvp character).

In PvE bad DK tanks tend to pull one mob toward them, leaving the caster mobs at a distance to start attacking us (or worse - summoning mobs will be free to do so). And there are lots of bad DKs when you're leveling from 60 to 80.|||Well thank you, from your posts and a bit of research, and a bit of messing around on my lil lock I'm going to start my druid. So I shall be working on my new balance druid named Aerde after the dutch god of nature and earth.

And plus I also found on wowwiki a bit more and did like how they also talked about the playstyle being this:

"Balance Druids specialize in damage spells and an additional Moonkin Form, turning them into an efficient ranged spellcaster that is somewhere between a Mage and a Shadow Priest in play style, in the equivalent of plate armor"

So thank you for your help, I'm feeling like this is going to be alot of fun, and with the added forms and spells well its just going to put a bit more spice into it ^_^|||A cross between a mage and a shadow priest?? How did they come to that conclusion? They can't have changed that much in the 4 months I've been gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment