Thursday, April 19, 2012

A couple of questions

Hi, I'm COMPLETELY new to this, this is the first MMO I have ever really played seriously, so please bear with me:

1. I'm playing (trying to) the trial right now, but everytime I log on and select a realm, it gives me a pop up saying "Connected" and no other option but to either wait, or click cancel and log in all over again. Essentially, I can select a realm, but not get onto the character select screen. How to fix this?

2. I need help choosing a class, with an eye to raiding later on. I HAVE READ THE STICKY, IT WAS INFORMATIVE, BUT I NEED MORE HELP. I want to be able to play my character through to level 80 and enjoy it, but also have a character that could be potentially raid-worthy. Do you NEED to keep an eye on your stats all the time when you're levelling if you want to have a "good" character at the end?

I liked the look of a healing class, but I heard they were quite boring to level up, and I'm not sure I could handle the pressure of having to keep everyone alive during a raid (a bit like being the goalkeeper in soccer, everyone blames you when something goes wrong). How hard is it? Is there lots of key-mashing and things going on? (I'm not very dextrous, being a drummer :P)

Being a mage is another option, getting to play around with awesome spells and stand back while you pummel enemies into oblivion. But the "talent tree" thing for the mage scares me a bit, there's so much choice, and I would be worried if I had accidentlly done something wrong there, with no way to change it, as well as there maybe being a lot of competition to get into raid groups and stuff.

Sorry for the mega-long post, just feel a bit confused :S|||1. Today is Wednesday. Wednesday is Europe maintenance day. If you play in the EU, try again tomorrow.

2. Don't worry about stats, min/maxing, gear, whatever, while leveling. You gain stats automatically when you level. You don't get like 5 stat points to distribute with each level. You gain stat points automatically. Also while leveling, you get new gear all the time. So you don't need to worry about milking each piece of gear for every point of whatever.

If you screw up with your talents, you can always get them reset at a class trainer (for a (low) price).

Edit: As for healing classes being boring while leveling up, each "healing" class (Shaman, Priest, Paladin and Druid) has at least one spec (talent tree) that focuses on dealing damage. Thus you can level as say... Shadow for priest or Feral for Druid, then respec to healing once you reach the level cap. Or you can get the secondary spec when it's available, and make your second spec healing.

Edit2: As for healing classes being "difficult"... You said you don't have a lot of dexterity. I'd take a look for a class and spec that is better for single target healing, as opposed to raid healing. That way, in raids, you'll probably be, more often than not, assigned to tank healing which means you heal that one tank you're assigned to and no one else. If you place your healing spells close to each other on the hotkeys (such as 2, 3 and 4), it'll make it easier.

Don't worry about the long post. You're new, you have questions. We were all newbies at one point or another. So feel free to ask as many questions as you need.|||Avg. Wow Player: fantatic advice, gives me a good insight into what I could do with a healing character.

Any other advice from anyone would be awesome!|||Another thing to do is decide ahead of time what kind of role you would like to perform while in a party.

Do you want to be the meat shield and protect the other DPS while they nuke the boss?

Do you want to be the healer?

Do you want to cause alot of damage? Damage up close and personal? Ranged damage?

Do yo want to be a combination of some of these claasses?

Once you answer a few of these then you can look into the classes involved and play each maybe to level 15 or 20 to get the hang of them. Then decide.

Most of the healing classes out there also have the ability to perform other non healing class roles:

Priests can so shadow spec for damage.

Druids are a hybrid, they can make great tree formed healers, they can be ranged elemental damagers, (Boomkins or OOMkins as they are called) be tanks as a bear ( Don't try to skin said bear tank or he'll aggro evey Druid bears in a 40 yard radius), you can swim fast like seal as a dr00d, you can be kitty cat, you can be friends with the trees.

Just look to Alamo He teechez joo to plays drood.

Paladins are healers also but they are also tanks among other things.

Shamans can heal in Resto spec or be elemental, etc.

Just watch out for Alamo.

and watch out for The gnome Punter!|||Blizzard's intent with recent changes was to make it easier to level healers. I have not heard if they have succeeded. However, I have leveled a priest healer with little trouble.|||I'd daresay Hunter remains the easiest class to play. Send pet, pew pew, loot, next. And still it can go really deep with trick pulls and hard rotations.|||Pretty much what everyone said, not a lot to add.|||Quote:








Pretty much what everyone said, not a lot to add.




If you had nothing to add, why did you bother posting?|||Quote:








Blizzard's intent with recent changes was to make it easier to level healers. I have not heard if they have succeeded. However, I have leveled a priest healer with little trouble.




A healing priest's damage is quite a bit lower than a dps classes, but it's perfectly adequate for killing stuff while leveling. I've leveled 2 healing priests, so I can personally attest to it being possible.

The second one was recently speed leveled. I did it primarily with questing, really only doing dungeons when I had quests for them. I have no idea how much faster she would have leveled as a damage spec, but I suspect the difference wouldn't have been significant. So much of the time leveling is spent traveling around for quests, that the actual time to kill a mob is much less significant than knowing efficient quest patterns. (On a first character where you are really exploring the world, it would make even less of an overall difference.)

I wouldn't call leveling a healer any more boing than leveling a dps. (Is there really a big difference between "Cast Power Word: Shield, smite until mob dies" and "Cast Ice Barrier: Frost Bolt until mob dies?")

As far as raiding goes, I'd say that all classes in wrath were key smashers. (I actually learned to key smash raiding on my DK in Naxx, and it carried over when I went back to healing on my priest.) I would say that melee classes tend to gravitate the most to key smashing, but it's really more about how much you have to compensate for your latency than what class you play. It also really only becomes an issue at the most competitive level of the game. If you are just looking to raid casually, the small amount of healing or dps you gain by key smashing won't matter.

As far as the blame game goes when things go wrong, yes, as a healer you will be first on the list. It's something you've got to learn to live with if you want to heal. I've gotten pretty good at ignoring the idiots. (On the other hand, I also regularly get complements when I pull a group through something that should have killed us all, so it can work both ways.)

I greatly prefer playing a healer to dps, simply because I find it more engaging. I don't enjoy trying to keep up a dps rotation, but I do like anticipating damage and having to make decisions on who to heal, and what heal to use. (Which is why I'm so glad that we look to be moving away from Wrath of the Spam Your One OP Healing Spell.) That's just me though. Some people really enjoy trying to perfect a dps rotation to squeeze out as much damage as possible.

The good news is, WoW doesn't lock a class into one choice of spec, so you can always change that up. (And all healers also have at least one dps spec available to switch to, and 2 of the healing classes can tank as well.) Even if you pick a class that just doesn't work for you, it's not hard to level in WoW, so you can always try a different class later on down the line. The only thing I'd say there is that sometimes you have to wait a bit to actually get into the groove of a class, so don't dump a class to early.|||Quote:








If you had nothing to add, why did you bother posting?




Mainly to reinforce what everyone has said is good advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment