Saturday, April 14, 2012

Upgrade problem - New to WOW

[:1]Hi,

I have installed World of Warcraft & the expansion to Burning Crusade everything was working fine.

Today I received Wrath of the Lich King & thought I could put the disc in and upgrade with ease. However game will not now load at all & says "launcher needs to be able to write to registry". Had a look at the support on blizzard but it seems to suggest deleting & starting again. I have contacted the support but I think it will take several days to get back to me.

Can anyone give me any idea what I should do? Or what I should have done!

Many thanks|||Are you running as administrator? If you are, you can try making another windows user account with admin rights and try installing from there. I have also seen suggestions to try installing the game in safe mode with networking.

If all else fails, do try to uninstall and reinstall from the WotLK DVD from scratch. That will install classic and BC as well. Or you can download the client from your battle.net account management page and install from there.

Keep us posted!|||Many thanks,

If I uninstall will I lose all my game progress? Is there any way I can save it.

I tried to use the Uninstall option from the WotLK disc but it said " "Uninstall.xml" could not be read."

I tried installing from blizzard but it got to 98% & stopped because it could not rename a file.

I will try creating a new admin account from windows & see what happens.

Any other suggestions welcomed.|||You shouldn't need to use the disk at all if you've already got the Warcraft client installed on your PC.

Just go to your Warcraft account administration page and enter the Wrath key code. This will upgrade your account to a Wrath account.

Load up Warcraft and log in. If any more data is needed (which it may not - the client will be the most up to date anyway) it'll download it automatically.

And no, you won't lose any game progress - everything is kept server side.

No comments:

Post a Comment