Thursday, April 12, 2012

Walkthrough Tips

[:1]Hi

Am a newcomer to WoW

Could anyone pls point me to a place where i could find out how to use the Auction House, so that i can sell my collected goods. I believe you do this by visiting a city like Stormwind, but that is all I know at present.

Also, a list of what each character ie Mage, Worrior etc, needs to progress in relation to armour, weapons and perhaps things like professions etc

If there is a general 'storage' of helpful things like walkthroughs, then that would be verld helpful to know about

Thanks for any assistance

Simon|||The Auction House is indeed to be found in the major cities, like Stormwind, Ironforge, ... (and Orgrimmar, Thunder Bluff, .... for Horde). It is easy to find, as it's usually close to the entrance, but you can always ask a guard for directions. Just approach a guard, talk to him, and there is a list of places where he can direct you to. The Auction House is one of them. Using it is pretty self-explanatory. The things to sell are basically everything that isn't grey vendor trash.

Also quite self-explanatory is what each stat does and which class benefits from it. Damage casting classes rely on intellect, melee classes rely on strength or agility, ranged class relies on agility, healing classes rely on spirit. Stamina is important for everyone, but of course more for tanking classes and warrior/paladin. A basic rundown:

Warrior: strength and stamina

Paladin: strength and stamina

Hunter: agility and stamina

Rogue: agility and stamina

Priest: spirit and stamina if healing, intellect and stamina if damage

Death Knight: strength, agility and stamina

Shaman: strength and stamina if enhancement, spirit and stamina if restoration, intellect and stamina if elemental

Mage: intellect and stamina

Warlock: intellect and stamina

Druid: agility and stamina if feral, spirit and stamina if restoration, intellect and stamina if balance.

This is of course a very simplified list and further in the game there are more , but it's a good guideline to begin with. Just go by the quest rewards you get and you should be fine. By the time you really need to focus on those stats - and others - you will know a lot more about the game.

Professions are a choice, they basically go with any class. There are a few exceptions: the professions to make armour: blacksmithing, tailoring and leatherworking. Blacksmithing is for mail/plate, leatherworking for leather (and later maybe mail), tailoring for cloth. But there is an abundance of threads about which profession for which class, a search on this forum will grant you a lot of information already.

A real walkthrough is not available, as it's not a linear game, but you can find all sorts of stuff online. You can always ask here for more information too. And remember, it's a game to discover at your own pace and not to be taken by the hand at all times.|||Hi Snow

Thank you for your reply and outlining some useful information for me, it is much appreciated.

I managed to find the AH, bank and even the mailbox and used each one. I even placed some green items in the AH and got some money ;), So I learnt some useful stuff

The links on the left hand column on the forum seem to work today, so I will be able to look at understanding about these and which professions etc, link to my different characters. Although, i thought that I had decided on Enchanting and tailoring for my Mage, until I saw the forum thread on this and now am confused what is best LOL

Anyway, thanks again...now off to level up my hunter(Darrk elf) and priest (human) characters...steep learning curves, but good fun as well

Simon|||Some people do Enchanting and Tailoring together simply because the items made with Tailoring can be dis-enchanted into mats which can then be used to raise Enchanting.

Enchanting costs a lot to level (in my experience even with dis-enchanting most of my BS and Tailoring items).

If this/these are your first toons then having Mining and Herbalism as your professions will certainly help offset the cost of levelling Enchanting later.

Low level herbs and ores sell well (server dependant) because IMO players are lazy and just by them off the AH rather than having a lvl 85 fly around the starter zones farming things.|||Quote:








Some people do Enchanting and Tailoring together simply because the items made with Tailoring can be dis-enchanted into mats which can then be used to raise Enchanting.

Enchanting costs a lot to level (in my experience even with dis-enchanting most of my BS and Tailoring items).

If this/these are your first toons then having Mining and Herbalism as your professions will certainly help offset the cost of levelling Enchanting later.

Low level herbs and ores sell well (server dependant) because IMO players are lazy and just by them off the AH rather than having a lvl 85 fly around the starter zones farming things.




Hi

Thanks for your reply

I think your saying that I should do Enchant/Tailoring later on when I have levelled much higher. I say this, as I believe that you can only have 2 primary professions at any one time and you are mentioning 4 here?

This being the case, then I am actually considering a slightly different alternative(s)

Mage: Inscription and Herbalism. I have heard that this is quite interesting and can potentially draw in some extra funds - which could be helpful later. Then when I have levelled ( perhapes 60-70), then do Enchanting/Tailoring.

Also, I could; as you have suggested, sell some of the herbs on the AH

Priest: Alchemy and Hebalism. Producing great potions for myself and to sell

Hunter: Mining and skinning, which I believe are useful and interesting professions...With the thought of moving to Jewelcrafting at a later stage and using some of the items I have collected

Being a newcomer, I am not certain if these 'fit' correctly, but they seem to do so, but if the experts have any suggestions, then I am certainly open to them. Thanks

Also, is there a list of where to pick up each profession - I actually found Blacksmithing near Elwynn Forest...actually by my Mage character... I know a strange one to do for him LOL

Ok, think I should stop this post for now, as i will start to confuse myself even more than I already am :)

Thanks again|||Quote:








Some people do Enchanting and Tailoring together simply because the items made with Tailoring can be dis-enchanted into mats which can then be used to raise Enchanting.

Enchanting costs a lot to level (in my experience even with dis-enchanting most of my BS and Tailoring items).

If this/these are your first toons then having Mining and Herbalism as your professions will certainly help offset the cost of levelling Enchanting later.

Low level herbs and ores sell well (server dependant) because IMO players are lazy and just by them off the AH rather than having a lvl 85 fly around the starter zones farming things.




For alts and people desperate for money that is a good idea, but I believe it's a lot more rewarding for new players to have a crafting profession to go along with their gathering one. Just for the sake of learning game mechanics, basically. You don't learn much about professions if you're just selling mats of the AH. Money is usually not a problem anymore if you are just questing and selling excessive gathering mats on the AH.

I never understood why Enchanting is considered to be such a money sink. Especially now that questing gear has improved, green items don't sell for that much anymore. And you're right about one thing, people powerleveling professions are a huge source of income. Things like strange dust or vision dust go for 5-10 gold a stack - a good way of getting money is actually to buy green items below a treshold of about 50s, just to disenchant them and sell the mats again.|||I found enchanting expensive at the start when I didn't have much cash and again now doing 510+ when I hit 85 and ran out of mats (cos I still have three Cata zones left to do/finish).

I advise having two gathering professions for the first few hours around the starter areas as the herbs and ores sell for 15-40gp per stack on my server, so it can help set you up even if you only do it for a short while.

Herbalism and Inscription can be a good combination and can make some good profit (even buying some of the mats off the AH), but I prefer mining as my levelling prof.

I use:

85 Priest - Herbalism - Alchemy

85 Pally - Mining - Enchanting

85 Warrior - Skinning - Blacksmithing

83 DK - Mining - Inscription

75 Warlock - Skinning - Tailoring

x4 lvl 1 bank alts

I try and have toons whose secondry skills can work together and will probably change the warriors skinning to JC (as this is the once prof I use but don't have) once the warlock and skinning reach 85/525.

I use a lot of bank alts because I don't have a guild bank, and I'm a hoarder (hey I'm horde) and simple keep loads of stuff on the off chance I may use it eventually.

One bank alt holds every gem I've ever collected from mining, drops etc...so I can raise JC quickly.

Another bank alt used to be full of herbs till I changed my profs to Alchemy and Inscription and completely emptied it so it's now my main alt for the A/H.|||The nice thing about inscription is that all glyphs sell well, even the very first ones you learn, because characters of all levels use them. The crafted goods provided by other crafting professions wont sell that high, but you can still probably sell green crafted items for a few g. For making early money inscription and herbalism is a very good combo.

As for "fitting", like Snow said blacksmithing produces plate armor, leatherworking makes mail and leather and tailoring makes cloth armor. If you take one of these it is a good idea to match it with a class that can use that type of armor. Beyond that all other professions are equally useful for all characters, so you can pick whatever you like.

Edit. If you're going to make multiple characters, you could also just make your mage tailor/enchanter right from the beginning and use the gathering professions on the other chars to get you money if needed.|||It was the crazy AH prices that was the driving force behind the professions I chose; I refused to pay the prices people were charging for glyphs, enchants, bags and blacksmith'd items (enchanting rods) etc... when with a few hours of farming I could do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment