Thursday, April 12, 2012

I'm Buying WOW tomorrow, Help!

[:1]Ok My names Luke ive tried almost every MMORPG out there, but ive decided to finally bite the bullet and give this mighty beast a try.



Who knows I might hate it, I wont know anyone, I have no idea how to play, I'm gunna be the tadpole in a pond full of sharks.



Tomorrow ill be buying, a quality headset/Mic.

Every series of world of warcraft, from the beginning to I think Cataclysm?

A 2 month membership card.


Ok well to the point, I have heard about this refer a friend deal, I am willing to do this for a more experienced player, I think you get a possible chance of giving free levels, free teleportation for the low levelled player (Myself) and triple XP for a week?

On one condition, Id like someone who has played WOW for a long period of time to be willing to help me get started in the game, possibly boost me up a few levels to make starting quests less tedious.

I am not some kind of weird sociopath and I am quite good to talk to, even if I do sound like a mad seagull barraging you with questions about how to change weapons.

(That quite possibly might not be a joke)

If anyone can offer me any advice, on what servers to join? Or what characters to build?

Though I do have the capability of learning myself somebody introducing me to the game would be excellent.



Thanks, hope to hear back from somebody soon,

Luke|||I don't think I'd be a good candidate for the RaF program with you, but I'm sure we can answer your questions (As it is, I only play maybe a few hours a day after work [7:00-10:00 EST usually] and have no open character slots with which to level with you on).

Personally, I wouldn't suggest the RaF program, the quests are for the most part very enjoyable and you'd quickly out-level areas before you get to the good parts (you can do that even without the RaF program as it is...). The new quests are one of the best things about WoW, to me. The RaF program also encourages a lack of skill to a point (since you'll get abilities so fast you might not even use them much), but since you're an experienced MMORPG player it might not hurt much. End-game can be a bit rough without some dungeon experience as well, so I'd suggest using the dungeon finder (lvl 15 minimum), you'll get some nice gear as a bonus.

The server you want to join depends on what you want to do, do you want a high population server that has good raiding guilds and high inflation? or maybe a nice quiet server with reasonable AH prices and smaller guilds? etc. I'd suggest starting the trial and seeing how you like it on a different e-mail address than you intend to RaF with, that way you can see how it is up to lvl 20 without modified exp, etc. and find a decent realm you like.

If you want a fast leveling and fairly easy class, go with a Paladin (Protection talent tree) or a Hunter (Beast Master talent tree). They're both very survivable in PvE and tanks are hard to come by in dungeons so you'll get a quick que, just make sure you learn how to tank.

Welcome to the forums :). If you don't find a RaF, I play on Sisters of Elune US, and I wouldn't mind helping you with questions or maybe the occasional gear run at lower levels (I also can craft quite a few nice pieces, and regularly treasure hunt for low level blues). I get bored so helping newbies is one of my hobbies, so long as they don't get spoiled XD.|||I can only say I agree wholeheartedly with Mistro on the RaF thing. The whole RaF program is a bit "meh" to me. If there is one thing I am sad about, it is a new player waltzing through area's and levels like there is no tomorrow, missing a great deal of the game content on the way.

The best advice I can give to first time players is to stop and smell the roses, learn your class or find out which one suits you best, explore and check out several area's and questlines, enjoy the game on your own pace.

To each their own, but racing through the levels feels like such a waste if you're new to the game.|||Ive just recently returned from town after spending �100 on booster packs and buying every exapnsion of the game, I have 3 loot cards, which I have no idea how to use, The Savage Raptor, the nightsabre Cub and Landros Lichling.

Gunna begin installing on my computer and gunna get some advice on here while it does install. :)|||Loot cards from the TCG can be redeemed in Booty Bay. But that's basically what we mean with learning to run before you can walk. Hold on to those cards for now, is what I would suggest.

WoW does not have a steep learning curve, everything is explained in detail as you trot along. It's when people are rushing and skipping content that they get confused.|||Thanks for the advice Snow, Ill keep them safe for now, Im looking for a Mod to help with the start of the game, Like a quest mod.

I wouldnt mind paying for one as it will offer me more?

know of any?|||First of all, never pay for mods, as they're freely available on the internet and they should be. The ones you have to pay for, I should stay away from those

If you're looking for a quest tracking mod, I seriously advise Questguru, just google for that. Explore the game a little and see how it runs, than you can check whether you can use addons to improve what you don't like.

As always, feel free to ask questions about basic gameplay here, it's always nice to welcome people to the game!|||I'll also throw my .02 in.

Quest Helper - This mod will give you an arrow that will point you in the direction of your goal. I don't use it anymore but it can help.

Your map - press M and it'll pull up your map. I believe the areas where you can find your objective should be highlighted. it's been awhile since i've played though, just now coming back myself.

Also, what realm are you on?|||Quest tracking mods are also a little redundant these days since they added the functionality themselves. Simply click a quest in your quest log (L) and it will highlight the number on your map that links to something required in the quest.

Prior to this functionality, I used Carbonite, but these add-ons tend to mess with other add-ons and some of the WoW map functionality (I miss Cartographer, I liked making points on my maps...).

As you get used to the game, some other mods you might want to try are NPC_Scan, and GatherMate2. NPC_Scan can point out rare spawns, which are worth about a quest's amount in extra exp and they drop green/blue quality gear. GatherMate2 will help you track all kinds of interactable objects, such as herbs, ore veins, etc. in addition to treasure chests, which also give a hefty exp boost in addition to green/blue loot. Rares, Chests, and Gathering Professions are a nice way to get free exp and gear from exploring around.|||With quest tracking, I meant a list of objectives you have completed and still need to complete. Yes, it is available in the standard Blizzard interface as well nowadays, but that interface is shockingly bad compared to the one Questguru provides. Might be because I'm used to it, I don't know.

But in any case, I didn't mean quest tracking like Questhelper, I always found that cheesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment