Saturday, April 14, 2012

Rogue Needs Advice

[:1]Need advice

First, I started in Late wrath so I basically got geared up and did tons of heroics but never raided because by the time I was getting the tier rogue gear cata was 1-2 weeks away. Secondly, my goals are be to do a few normal mode raids and not get too hardcore about it while running new heroics with friends.

I'm playing an assassination rogue and I'm starting to feel that anything beyond doing heroics is too much form me. Even some of the tougher heroics make me not really like my class in these situations (think the Foe Reaper 5000, or the 2nd boss in stonecore dragon).

My major complaints is I come from a more tank and spank type game where there wasn't so much to do in PVE (which i was a big fan of). I don't mind learning a rotation, but to learn a rotation, stay outta the fire/slime/ice, interrupt certain mechanics, run away during major attacks, all the while min/maxing energy levels and trying to keep up solid DPS (which always take a big hit when I have to keep avoiding certain devastating attack mechanics) it's just seeming like too much for me to handle.

I don't mind a challenge, but I don't think I can handle being a pve rogue anymore. Maybe I need to go combat? Is it much easier to manage?

Other than that thought I'm looking for thoughtful advice on classes which may be easier for me to play. I'm not an invalid, and I learned some of the harder heroics for me (grim batol is a breeze) I just think when things get overall more complicated (like the above heroic bosses) I fail at my class. Maybe its lack of experience, maybe I don't have skill, either way I'm noticing it and I either want to get better or play a class that I can excel at and bring something to the table.





Any thoughts?|||You might want to try playing a ranged class of some sort. While they do still largely have the same issue to deal with, you have a lot more forgiveness when it comes to positioning. You can generally be anywhere within 40 yards of the boss, and you don't have to be behind him to maximize your damage. (Not that it's generally a good idea for anyone to stand in front of bosses due to frontal attacks, but at least it doesn't affect your damage.)

You still lose damage when you move (since ranged classses have very limited options that can be cast while running) but it's a lot easier to see what it actually going on in a fight which makes dealing with the ground fire easier.

If you want an easier to manage resource, stick to a caster. While you do have to manage mana, it's something you manage over a larger period of time instead of from attack to attack. (Hunter's focus is most closely related to Energy, although it isn't exactly the same.)|||Quote:








You might want to try playing a ranged class of some sort. While they do still largely have the same issue to deal with, you have a lot more forgiveness when it comes to positioning. You can generally be anywhere within 40 yards of the boss, and you don't have to be behind him to maximize your damage. (Not that it's generally a good idea for anyone to stand in front of bosses due to frontal attacks, but at least it doesn't affect your damage.)

You still lose damage when you move (since ranged classses have very limited options that can be cast while running) but it's a lot easier to see what it actually going on in a fight which makes dealing with the ground fire easier.

If you want an easier to manage resource, stick to a caster. While you do have to manage mana, it's something you manage over a larger period of time instead of from attack to attack. (Hunter's focus is most closely related to Energy, although it isn't exactly the same.)








Ty for the reply. I do love my rogue but I think I love to pvp on him more than do raids and such no reason not to level another toon imo with guild xp and full hierlooms it wont take long. Ty again|||The mechanics won't change much, and that's what you're complaining about. You'll need to move your mage out of Foe Reaper's Harvest still. You need to stand behind stone blocks on the Dragon in Stonecore. Going Combat on your rogue won't change that either.

Fact is, you'll need to develop that awareness.


Quote:




my goals are be to do a few normal mode raid




If that is your goal, no matter what class you'll play - work on that situational awareness and the response time to Bad Things. The heroic instances are a sort of training ground for raiding. If you feel too stressed out there already, I wouldn't suggest actually making a step up in terms of difficulty. Instead, I'd point you towards the more 'casual' (pardon le mot) normal instances. Not as a permanent route, but more as a way of actually training and honing those vital skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment